What a specimen of a 21 year vintage I am. :) tehe

What it means to be a man:

I think being a man means being honest in all you do, and always striving to be better. Being knowledgeable about the local and global affairs. Having an educated opinion, standing by it, and always being able to rethink it. About being passionate about life, your interests, your family and friends and your gal. Being a man means living life, laughing, and loving. These are The Things I see, live, do, think, read, watch, love, like, want and more.

Cheers, Jared

Monday, March 1, 2010

1 Thing I am Planning

I was thinking about why it's hard for me to write stories, even short stories.  This was the other day.

I realized, after thinking about it, that I am most productive when I have outlined what I need to do, how I am going to do it, and in what order.  Then, my eyes sort of opened a bit wider and came to acknowledge the fact that most of the time, when I write a story that is not based on anything that has actually happened I tend to just write.  I do not have a plan.  I may have a character or an idea for what action occurs, but that's it, usually.  I never know what I want to say with my story, what I want to express, teach, imbue the reader.

Later that day, I was thinking about that, and came up with an outline for a story.

This is it.



What lesson do I want to teach?
Be flexible - be like water - be open to change.
How?
1 Main Character - 1st person - dual stories - spawning from one decisions -> stories alternate possibilities.
Who is the main character?
Male - college student - book worm - hesitant - shy - intelligent - socially lacking confidence - reserved - scared.
Second character?
1st Story: Imaginary girl - fulfills fantasies (in his head - modestly)
2nd Story: Female -> girlfriend -> better than fantasies
Where does the story split?
Small thing - maybe->smiling, opening door, giving up seat, tripping, sneezing , girl is lost-needs help? Something minimal
End of story?
1st Story: Skip to 40y.o. - working (rich, great job, etc.) - lonely (through actions, modern home, black and gray and white colors, one plate set out for dinner, and at table, two garages(one empty), one key rack, queen size bed, one bathroom, two closets(one empty)
2nd Story: Skip to 40y.o. - working - happy(modest job, successful, upper mid class, two garages(one car in garage, one van, tricycle, radio flier wagon, rakes, hula hoops, jump ropes, sidewalk chalk, sleds, tobaggon, bikes with training wheels - may have ups and downs, fights about money or responsibilities, but the nights together, outings, fishing, baseball games, picnics, road trips, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment